Denim can be traced to as early as the 18th century; the fabric became very popular when it was used to make the infamous pants now known as jeans. Jeans became popular in the 1950’s amongst teenagers and was used as the symbol of teenage rebels on TV shows.
Jeans are now a staple item in everyone’s closet today, from young children to older people. Nowadays we see denim everywhere from shirts to purses, so what’s the best way to make the denim on denim look work?
To many the denim on denim look is a horrific thought, it was for me as well in the beginning. If your old enough you probably had a flash back to the 80’s. But leave those horrific memories aside, because there is a way to make this look fashion forward and not a fashion flashback all you have to do is be a little creative.
Here are a few tricks to keep in mind when trying to pull off this look:
- Different shades- as simple as this may be this is what helps you look 2011, to break up the outfit try a light denim top with, black or really dark jeans.
- Use denim accessories- this is a bit more low key, if you don’t feel comfortable enough to rock the whole denim outfit, try using a headband or a purse with jeans.
- Add a feminine touch- try wearing girly shoes, clingy earrings, floral prints or a headband.
What to avoid?
- Avoid anything western looking- it’s going to seem you’re going to a costume party, so avoid fringe, cowboy boots and belts with big buckles.
- Avoid anything 80’s looking- slap bracelets, crimped hair, gloves which are fingerless and bedazzled denim will definitely make your look outdated.
So you see denim on denim can work, you just have to follow some simple rules. Actresses like Charlize Theron, Katie Holmes and Ashley Greene prove that the double denim is totally doable.